You can apply for an MDP role whatever your background. This is what you will need:
- You must be 18 years of age or over at the time of applying.
- You must hold a full UK manual car driving licence with no more than six penalty points.
- All applications will be subject to robust medical/security/vetting processes and candidates are advised that at some locations/establishments an enhanced level of vetting is required, which may result in applications being sifted out if they do not meet the required British Nationality/Residency status. To this end, you must have resided continuously in the UK for a minimum five year period immediately prior to your application to join as a new Police Constable with MDP (with any absence from the UK being no more than six months during this time). The qualifying UK residency period may be extended to 10 years for certain sensitive postings. If you have resided abroad due to serving in the British Armed Forces or on UK Government service, you are considered to have been resident in the UK.
- You should not have a criminal record. If you have a conviction as an adult or juvenile it is unlikely that you will be suitable but some minor offences and cautions may not exclude you.
- The MDP applies a tattoo and piercings policy. All tattoos are assessed individually. You should not have tattoos which could cause offence. Tattoos on the head, face or throat area (forward of a line between the ear lobe and the collar bone) or those which are particularly prominent, or likely to undermine the dignity and authority of the office of constable are not permitted. You will be required to provide photographs of tattoos with a visible measure for scale. A verifiable translation must accompany any tattoos containing non-English words, characters or representation. Tattoos on the arms, hands or neck that are excessive in size or visual impact may not be accepted and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Tattoos anywhere on the body which appear to be discriminatory, offensive or provocative will not be accepted. Facial piercings are not permitted because they are considered to undermine the dignity and authority of a police officer. There are also implications for an officer's safety. Applicants must not have flesh tunnels/plugs or ear stretchers etc. If removed, any ear lobe damage must not be readily visible.
- You must not be registered bankrupt with outstanding debts, have outstanding County Court Judgments against you, or be subject to a current Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) in England and Wales. The same criterion applies for equivalencies in Scotland.
- You will need to be physically fit and you will need to pass the Multi-Stage Fitness Test (currently comprising a bleep test to level 7.6).
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment or are placed into a pool of successful candidates to whom it is intended a conditional offer will be made when a position arises, you will undergo a medical screening. You will also need to meet the minimum eyesight standards for corrected (glasses or contact lenses) and uncorrected vision.